Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hair

Transitioning Tale: Yasmin's Story



Today's transitional tale is that of a beautiful young diva named Yasmin. Like so many other women, Yasmin struggled to accept her natural hair. She began her transition in December of last year and sported kinky twists for six months into her transition. "I had kinky twists for the past 6 months and the day after I graduated from high school, I took them out," states Yasmin. "The first day I mourned for the way my hair looked...but then I prayed and looked in the mirror, told myself I was beautiful and made my first YouTube video, Natural Hair Day One." She continues, "I never thought I'd just chop my hair off, but I'm so proud of myself for doing this." We're proud of you too, Yasmin!

PYCAG asked Yasmin a few questions regarding her transition, and here's what she had to say:

PYCAG: How long were you relaxed?
Yasmin: I was relaxed from the age of 5 until December of 2008.

PYCAG: What inspired you to go natural?
Yasmin: My mom's friend, and an enlightenment of SELF LOVE!

PYCAG: How long did you transition before deciding to do the BC?
Yasmin: Six Months. I couldn't wait to BC!

PYCAG: Why did you opt to do the BC vs. slowly transition?
Yasmin: When I took out my braids, my relaxed hair was still falling out, so instead of running FROM my natural hair, I embraced it fully, and cut everything off. What better place is there to start from than the beginning?

PYCAG: What is your current regimen and or how do you plan to care for your hair?
Yasmin: First, I do wet my hair EVERYDAY. I still grease my scalp weekly with Africa's Best Super Gro and I don't have any issues with dry scalp even though I wet it. While it's wet, I apply Parnevu Leave-in Conditioner and Africa's Best Olive Oil Leave-in and style it however. I also shampoo and deep condition weekly with Africa's Best Shampoo and Deep Conditioner. When I had a relaxer, I would apply grease to my scalp every once and a while. When I styled my hair, I used Redken's Smooth Down Heat Protectant, but that's it!

PYCAG: What products are you currently using?
Yasmin: Africa's Best Olive Oil shampoo, conditioner, and leave in. I also use Africa's Best Super Gro once a week.

For more information on Yasmin's transition, visit her YouTube channel at Naturalie Yours.

2 comments:

bluebonnet67 said...

Loved your story! Congratulations on your natural journey!

Yasmin said...

THANKS :D i'm so excited to see myself!