Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Hair

Transitioning Tale: Tommi's Story

A beautiful diva by the name of Tommi was the first to inquire about being featured as one of the transitioning stories on my blog. Tommi took a bold move in going from relaxed to natural, as she opted to do the big chop. Here are her before and after photos:

Before
After
Protecting your crown and glory (PYCAG) asked Tommi a few questions, and here's what she had to say about her transition:

PYCAG: How long were you relaxed?
Tommi: I was relaxed for about 20 years and I went through the Jheri Curl phase for about 4 or 5 years. I have done the big chop 3 times, but the first time I did go back to a perm. The second time I did not; I just cut my hair with a number 1 clippers. Now I have cut it off again (June 16, 2009). I cut it off because of split ends and frizziness.

PYCAG: What inspired you to go natural?
Tommi: What inspired me to do the big chop was seeing other natural sisters and to be honest, I was totally tired of the chemical burns and sores from the chemicals. I was also tired of the thinning edges, hair breakage, heat damage, etc. The prices of relaxers were ridiculous. It just got really old.

PYCAG: What products are you currently using?
Tommi: The products I currently use are V05 for a cowash and a spritz of vegetable glycerin, distilled water, and rosemary oil. I use Giovanni leave-in conditioner. I currently do not deep condition, which I did not know I should be doing. So I am going to start a regimen. I just need to figure one out. I am basically in need of help in this area of hair care, for I've just been doing some research to see what may work for me. I also use Jane Carter Nourish and Shine and Kinky Curly Curling Custard off and on.

PYCAG: What was your hair like before, and how do you plan to care for it now?
Tommi: Well recently, my hair was in shambles, which is why I cut it all off again. I just wanted to start all over again. If you mean what was my hair like when it was relaxed, it shed all the time and I got chemical burns really, really bad. And my head would bleed.

I plan to get on track with my hair by getting on a morning and night regimen of moisturizing and caring for it, but I have to figure it out. I still do not know what I am doing. I would also like to get on an exercise and diet program. But for some reason I am afraid. I sleep on a satin pillowcase and I just purchased a satin bonnet.

PYCAG: What are your hair goals?
Tommi: My hair goals are to have healthy, natural hair. I would like for it to grow so I can do a puff and twists sometimes. Lengthwise, I would like it to be about 10 inches long, stretched. I guess, I don't know, I think I would like it pretty long. Neck length maybe.

Thank you so much Tommi for sharing your story! We'll have to check back in with her in a few months to see the progress she's made :-).

3 comments:

Kinky Rhonnie said...

Congratulations Tommi.

I wish you good luck during this journey.

We online naturals are always here to help and offer support.

Be sure to apply your products while your hair is soaking wet.

You are on the right path using quality products of
Leave-in
Moisture

Now you need to seal the goodness in with an oil.

Now, how can you be afraid to begin and diet an exercise regimen after taking the brave step of the BIG CHOP.

You've already proven your daring nature so go for it girl one day at a time.

God Bless you.

~Kinky Rhonnie @ http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com

Ms. Harmony said...

Wow! Tommi's story is very inspirational. I really think this section of your blog will help a lot of us divas out. You know I would have submitted an entry for this section. However, I haven't made the decision to go natural. So once I make that decision you know you can count on me!

Thanks for all you do!
Smooches...

Yasmin said...

YAY! :) i think i've seen her on YouTube!