Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hair

To Transition or Not Transition: Lisa's Story

Today's hair tale is quite an unusual one, for Protecting Your Crown & Glory typically only features the tales of those who have always been natural, are currently transitioning, or have completed their transition from relaxed to natural. Today however, we'll be witnessing the tale of a diva who is on the fence about transitioning. Lisa is a diva who has been relaxed for many years, but has gone as long as four months without a relaxer. "My new growth was so much thicker than my relaxed hair that it was a challenge to take care of," explains Lisa. Thus, she has decided to focus on establishing a hair care regimen that will get her hair on a healthy track. As for transitioning, she's still not completely sold on it.

It was tough deciding whether or not to feature Lisa's story, because as mentioned earlier, her story is not akin to those you'll normally find in the Transitioning Tales/Inspiration section of Protecting Your Crown & Glory. Yet, after realizing that there are a ton of ladies who share Lisa's indecision about going natural, she seemed to be the perfect addition to this segment. Therefore, without further ado, here is Lisa's hair care story:



PYCAG: How long have you been relaxed?
Lisa: I started getting relaxers in my mid-teens and I'm 38 now, so a good twenty years or so.

PYCAG: What inspired you to consider going natural?
Lisa: To be honest, I am still undecided about going natural. However, I am frustrated by the damage I incurred over the years by my own doing and at the hands of others. My brother is a stylist, but unfortunately is not a very reliable person. When he was taking care of it, my hair was full and long (mid-back length), and people often asked If I was wearing a weave. I then started applying my own relaxers and my hair took a downward spiral from that point on.

PYCAG: What is your current regimen and how do you care for your hair?
Lisa: What I've learned is the importance of moisturizing my hair. I did not do this in the past. I also used a lot of heat, which I no longer do. I had my hair texturized [in May] and intend to do so three times a year as opposed to once a month, as I did in the past. I'm on a mission to get my hair healthier, and have not put any heat on it since March. I co-wash three times a week and use a deep conditioner after each co-wash. I air dry my hair and wear my protective style (bun) Monday-Friday. On the weekends I wear braid-outs. I moisturize nightly and braid my hair in four sections.

PYCAG: What products are you currently using?
Lisa: I Spritz nightly with a mix of Aloe Vera Juice and Rosewater. In addition, I use Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-in Conditioner, and apply Elasta QP Mango Butter to my hair during the day and at night. I seal in the moisture with Virgin Coconut Oil and use Cantu Shea Butter after co-washing and to prep my hair for braid-outs.

PYCAG: What are your hair goals?
Lisa: My goal is to maintain a healthy head of hair and see how long I can get my hair to grow. Waist length seems to be an impossible goal, but others have achieved it, so I'd like to shoot for that as well.

PYCAG: Is there anything else you'd like to add before we conclude this interview?
Lisa: I'm embarrassed to say that I am just learning the proper way to take care of my hair and it's empowering to be self-sufficient -- not having to depend on someone else to keep my hair in good condition.

Thank you, Lisa, for sharing your hair care story with Protecting Your Crown and Glory. We wish you much success on your journey!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What I get out of this story is that those who are relaxed are not doomed for failure. Before reading this, I had in my mind that once you go relaxed it's all down hill from there...shows how much I know..lol. But this story showed me that you can be relaxed but you just have to take care of it accordingly and one will see hair growth. Not saying that I'm going to go back to relax...my hair is too fine for that and I was stupid to get it in the first place. However, I'm glad I read this to enlighten some of my relaxed friends who think they're doomed, but are too afraid to go natural. Keep doing this Dprincess28..I always learn so much from you and your stories!!

Dani In NC said...

Lisa should not be embarrassed. I'm 42 years old and I am just starting to feel confident about my ability to take care of my own hair and my daughters' hair. Up until this point, I would let my husband cart the girls off to get relaxers and talk me into getting one myself. Now, thanks to the proliferation of information on the internet, I feel like I can make us all look presentable without always turning to someone else.