Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Hair

Transitional Tale: Lady Kvara's Story


A beautiful diva named Lady Kvara recently shared her natural hair journey with Protecting Your Crown & Glory. Wishing to no longer conform to what society and our very own community has deemed a standard, regular practice, Lady Kvara ditched the creamy crack and has been embracing her natural curls ever since! Below is her hair story.

PYCAG: How long were you relaxed?
Lady Kvara: For about 19 years (I got my first relaxer at age 7).

PYCAG: What inspired you to transition?
Lady Kvara: It was a bit of a personal epiphany. I'd just moved to a new state and had left my beloved stylist at home. I didn't trust anyone else with my hair, so I held out on getting a touch up for as long as I could, but when a comb broke in it, I knew I had to do something! Yet, I had no stylist and no real money to spend on going to one either. I then asked myself, "Why do I want to look like everyone else?" Letting my hair do its own thing meant it wasn't going to look like everyone else's. That's when I started thinking about letting it grow out. I did some research online about going natural to help me through the process. I've been transitioning for a little over a year now and haven't looked back.

PYCAG: Why did you opt to slowly transition vs. do the BC?
Lady Kvara: I've always had long hair. I'm fighting to adjust to the idea that I won't have hair that appears as long as it actually is. I still have some issues about my hair, but this way I can confront these issues gradually instead of having to deal with them all at once. I like variety and a TWA doesn't provide that. Besides, my hair can't hold an afro if its life depended on it.

PYCAG:
How are you caring for your hair and how do you plan to care for it once it's natural?
Lady Kvara: Well, I usually wear my hair up in a high, somewhat loose bun or in tight ringlets all over my head (see photo to the right). Basically anything that is enhanced by the fullness of the new growth and puts little stress on the two different hair textures. I avoid pulling my hair back with ponytail holders too often or pinning it harshly. I've found that braid outs and bun outs don't really work too well for me right now and I think part of it's because I'm half natural and half relaxed.

My daily regimen consists of me wetting my hair very lightly in the morning with a spray bottle. I put a quarter-sized amount of conditioner in my hand and lightly run it over the parts of my hair that are always exposed to the elements. Then I usually follow up by applying Giovanni's Direct Leave in Conditioner on the more protected areas, then off I go!

I wash my hair every 4 days. I usually co-wash with the same conditioner I use daily. I'm almost completely a no-poo girl. I make sure to use my wide tooth comb to comb through my hair ONLY when I have loads of conditioner on it and with the help of the shower. I deep condition every two weeks or so with a protein treatment that I fully rinse out (When I co-wash with my regular conditioner I do not necessarily fully wash it out). Then I let it mostly air dry before I set my hair on perm rods in a modified version of a straw set. I use a spritz of Infusium 23 for my relaxed ends, and some more conditioner for the natural new growth. I wait until it's completely dry before taking it down.

PYCAG: What products are you currently using?
Lady Kvara: -Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner (I use as a co-wash and a leave in);
-Giovanni Direct Leave in Conditioner (A light conditioner that does wonders on natural hair as it is very moisturizing);
-Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo (As a clarifying shampoo and dandruff treatment);
-Giovanni Triple Treat Conditioner;
-Organic Roots Protein Deep Conditioning Treatment;
-Infusium 23 (Great for setting relaxed ends);
-Elasta QP H-two (It works great as a detangler).
-100% Vegetable Glycerin and water mixture with lavender (as a way of lightly moisturizing my hair when it's styled so I don't mess it up).

PYCAG: What are your hair care goals?
Lady Kvara: I want to grow my natural hair to the same length I obtained while I was relaxed, which is just below my shoulders. I also want my hair to be healthy and well moisturized.

Thank you, Lady Kvara, for sharing your natural hair journey with us! We wish you the best of luck on your transition.

No comments: