Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Skin Care

Less is More: The Path to Clear Skin

I've been following the "less is more" rule when it comes to my hair and skin care regimens, and it seems to be paying off pretty well for me. I no longer use Benzoyl Peroxide to fight blemishes, as I thought it was time I gave my skin a break. Benzoyl Peroxide not only fights acne breakouts, but it also clears up blemishes, for it is a bleaching agent. This is why it's best to use Benzoyl Peroxide at night, and sunblock during the day to prevent re-darkening of blemishes.

Ironically, my skin seems to have cleared up now that I've given the zit creams a rest. Here's a pic of my face sans makeup:

Below are the deets to my current skin care regimen, as I no longer follow the one mentioned in my skin care video:

Daytime Ritual

Step 1: I usually wash my face with Aveeno's Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser upon rising, as I like to have a clean face prior to working out. If I workout during the day, then I will re-wash my face post workout with whatever bar soap is currently in my shower.

Step 2: After I've washed my face (whether it be pre or post workout), I apply Aveeno's Ultra Calming Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 as a moisturizer. I alternate between this and Aveeno's Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30. I tend to use the latter in the summer, and the former during the winter, as it seems to be slightly heavier and therefore provide the moisture my skin needs.

Step 3: There are many days when I go without makeup, but on days when I do wear makeup, I'll either wear my Pur Mineral 4-in-1 powder foundation (which, by the way, does not irritate my skin like some liquid and powder formulas have in the past) and set it with Blot powder by MAC, or I'll just wear the Blot powder to cut down on shine.

I actually believe that the Blot powder and other shine fighters help fight zits because it cuts down oil production, which can lead to clogged pores. Thus, I consider MAC's Blot powder to be an essential part of my skin care regimen.

Nighttime Ritual

Step 1: I cleanse my face with Aveeno's Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser.

Step 2: To ensure that I've removed all makeup and to tone the skin, I apply Witch Hazel to my face with cotton pads, and I keep swiping my face until the pads come up clean. FYI, toner is used to reduce the appearance of pores and cleanse the skin of excess oil.

Step 3: To fight crows feet and to keep the area around my eyes moist (the skin around the eyes thins as we age, and mine tends to be dry), I apply a thin coat of Vaseline around my eyes.

C'est tout!



2 comments:

Organicfemme said...

Skin is the most important part of our outer body. It's the first thing that gets noticed so it is essential to take good care of it. Not one person is identical with another skin type so do research and read reviews to know the benefits of it.

stretch marks removal

Unknown said...

I have very sensitive skin. If use things it either the breaks me out bad or they work at first then I end up breaking out. For about 6 months I've been using a EVOO and sugar scrub in my face and soak it off with water, then pat my face dry. It been working. I have been getting asked what foundation I use. My reply, "none." Maybe it could work for you. :)