Monday, August 1, 2011

Diet

Breakfast of Champions
(Not really, but it sounds good, don't it?)

Losing these last ten pounds has proven just as difficult as I had imagined. However, I am determined to reach my goal weight and shed every ounce of the poundage I gained during my pregnancy. One thing that has assisted me in dropping the pounds during this weight loss journey has been my hearty breakfast of oatmeal (I prefer steel cut with a little bit of butter and brown sugar), almonds (just a handful!), and dry fruit (sometimes I add dried cranberries to the mix, or just eat a real fruit bar from Trader Joe's as you see in the pic above).

A lot of peeps don't realize that breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. It jump starts your metabolism and sets the tone for the rest of the day. I don't have to read a bunch of articles on the topic to know this to be true, because I have experienced the difference in how I feel when I don't eat breakfast vs. when I do, or when I eat a crappy breakfast vs. a healthy one. For instance, when I eat oatmeal, I truly feel satisfied for hours and am ready to take on the day. The times I eat a more decadent breakfast, like on my cheat days when I opt for donuts, waffles, or pancakes with syrup, I get what many refer to as "the itis," meaning I immediately start to feel drowsy and just want to pass out! I've also noticed that whenever I have a breakfast full of simple carbs, I crave sugar the rest of the day. Needless to say, making wise choices from the start can have a ripple effect, making the day a success nutrition wise.

So, what are you having for breakfast?

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'll usually have cereal like cheerios or fiber one with skim milk. Or when I feel like cooking egg whites, turkey bacon, and maybe a slice of toast with fruit.

Passion said...

I eat cream of wheat or a bowl of cereal. I'm going to start eating oatmeal again. But, I totally agree with you; breakfast makes a big difference in my day.

Ms. Harmony said...

This morning was a thin lean cut pork chop with a side of yogurt. Different huh? LOL!! I'm trying to put some variety in my meals. I totally agree with you about breakfast!!

DPrincess28 said...

@Tiffany: Fiber One cereals are the bomb! I eat them sometimes in place of oatmeal, or dry as a high fiber snack.

@Ms. Harmony: Um yeah, that is different, LOL. But I do love me some pork chops ;-)

whitney said...

For healthy breakfasts, I LOVE Honey Bunches of Oats or Honey Nut Cheerios! Other times, I will have scrambled eggs & yogurt or simply, oatmeal. I like variety.