Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Hair

Transitioning Tale: Roserich's Story


A lovely diva who goes by the name Roserich submitted her transitioning tale to Protecting Your Crown & Glory (PYCAG) when she was just 11 weeks into her transition. The pic you see above is of her relaxed hair, and the pic below at right is of her hair 6 weeks post relaxer. Roserich sumbitted her tale to PYCAG in February of last year, so she should be well on her way to having a full head of natural hair. Below are the details of her transition when she initially embarked on this journey.
PYCAG: How long have you been relaxed?
Roserich: I had my first relaxer at age 10, which was 17 years ago. I tried transitioning in 2001, but that only lasted a few months, so I have been rocking relaxed hair all this time. I have been relaxed for so long that I cannot remember the look or feel of my natural hair.

PYCAG: What inspired you to transition?
Roserich: Although my hair looks 'nice' when it's relaxed, I wish I had the versatility of natural hair. I have been experiencing severe dryness and an itchy scalp, and it's gotten so bad that I've had to see my dermatologist every few months for the last year. I have a really sensitive scalp and tend to get burnt quite easily during relaxer applications. Overall, I am just absolutely tired of relaxed hair!! When the idea to transition resurfaced, I started researching to find out about other ladies who took the challenge. It was your YouTube video that truly inspired me to take the leap. Thank you so much for that.

The main reason I have not transitioned before now is the fact that I am just not skilled at styling hair and have been scared of the challenges one faces when dealing with the two textures. Pressure from my family also prevented me from doing so. Every time I make the suggestion, they make outrageous comments, with the exception of my husband who supports me (although I am convinced he doubts I will make it through the process). Presently, I am away from home at a university and my programme is scheduled to end July of this year (2010). I want to use this time away from my family to get started on my natural journey.

PYCAG: How do you plan to care for your hair as you slowly transition?
Roserich: Presently, I am wearing a weave (See pic at left), because I have found it easier to maintain in view of my studies. However, I am hoping to remove it at the end of this week because it's just too much for my scalp if I leave it in for much longer. I hope to do braid outs and twists for the first two months (I have never done them before) after removing my weave, followed by kinky twists, hopefully. I am not yet certain, but I will be cutting at least an inch every month until I am fully natural. Who knows, maybe I'll even do the BC .

PYCAG: What products are you currently using?
Roserich: I am still doing research to find the best products to use and regimen to follow. I have already bought:
  • A sulfate-free shampoo
  • Shea butter moisturizer
  • Motions Marula Natural Therapy deep conditioner
Like you always say, I will have to experiment to find what products work best for my hair. I am truly excited about this journey and look forward to all the challenges that lie ahead.

Thank you, Roserich, for sharing your transitioning tale with PYCAG. We wish you much success with your natural hair journey!

No comments: