Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hair

Transitioning Tale: Porsha's Story


Today's transitioning tale is that of a beautiful diva named Porsha. Unafraid to try new things, Porsha has decided to share the ups and downs of her natural hair journey, as well as her beauty practices on her blog at PCOBeauty.blogspot.com. Although this diva has made much progress with her natural tresses, she's not one to make any promises. "I am not 100 percent against relaxers and may one day go back to one," she states. "I think it’s nice to have options. I just want to see where my natural hair will lead me." Having shared the details of her transition, Porsha is showing the readers of PYCAG where she currently is on her journey:
 
PYCAG: How long were you relaxed?
Porsha: I received my first relaxer as a child. I think I was 9 or 10. I wanted one after watching the Just For Me commercials because I thought that it would magically change my hair. I wore braids (like Brandy Norwood) from the time I was 12 to about 16. I then went back to relaxers and got my first professional relaxer at 19. That is when I became hooked! My last relaxer was in early February of 2011.

PYCAG: What inspired you to transition?
Porsha: It started as a way to save money, as not being relaxed meant not having to go to the salon every 6 weeks. However, after watching your YouTube videos, I thought I should try to see what my natural hair can look like. Now that I have a daughter, I want her to be completely happy with how she looks. I don’t want her to grow up feeling like her hair has to be silky straight in order to be beautiful.

PYCAG: Why did you opt to slowly transition versus do the BC?
Porsha: I am transitioning with short hair, so I didn’t want to go any shorter. I have had short hair for about 10 years and I want to grow it out and I think not relaxing my hair will help.

PYCAG: How are you caring for your hair?
Porsha: I still flat iron my hair about once a week, and I have to blow dry my hair first in order to get my hair really straight. I have experimented with bun-outs but had little success. Since my hair is short I think straight hair looks best on me.

PYCAG: What products are you currently using?
Porsha: I am always looking to try new products so I can’t say that I am 100 percent loyal to one thing. However, I like using:
  • WEN hair oils (As a pre-poo treatment. Tea tree and fig are my favorite.)
  • Joico K-Pac conditioner
  • John Freida’s Three Day Straight 
PYCAG: What are your hair care goals?
Porsha: I would love to have longer hair--at least past my shoulders, but I stopped obsessing about it. I actually just shaved the side of my hair. Right now I just want my hair to be breakage free and looking good.

Thank you, Porsha, for sharing your natural hair journey with Protecting Your Crown & Glory. We wish you much success, whether you choose to remain natural or not!

No comments: