Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Transitioning Tale: Dominique-Alexis' Story

Dominique-Alexis on the right
Well, well, well, it's time to pull another natural hair tale out of the archives. Two years ago, a beautiful young diva named Dominique-Alexis submitted her natural hair tale to Protecting Your Crown & Glory. Dominique-Alexis is the owner of a fabulous website called Natural-Hair-Care-Info.com. Her site and its accompanying Facebook page are dedicated to educating teens and adults about the beauty of natural hair. So now, without further ado, here is Dominque-Alexis' natural hair tale, as told to PYCAG:

Relaxed
PYCAG: How long were you relaxed?
Dominique-Alexis: I was relaxed for about a year when I was twelve, then I started transitioning shortly after my thirteenth birthday. I've been natural ever since!

PYCAG: What inspired you to transition?
Dominique-Alexis: The condition of my relaxed hair was absolutely terrible! I deep conditioned and moisturized, but my hair always felt dry and it broke off. My ends were always rough and I never retained any length, so it was time to find another option.

PYCAG: Why did you opt to slowly transition versus do the BC? 
Dominique-Alexis: I was in gymnastics at the time, and the sport required for my hair to be up and out of the way. Therefore, since I always had my hair in cornrows, it just seemed easy to transition that way.

PYCAG: How do you care for your natural hair?
Dominique-Alexis: I spend about half an hour washing my hair on Friday nights. Once I get out of the shower, I spend another half hour moisturizing it. I then place my hair in twists. This part usually takes a good hour or two because I’m usually multitasking, doing things on my laptop or practicing my flute. However, if I were to solely concentrate on my hair, then the process would only take about a half hour or so.

I remove the twists the following day and wear twist outs on weekends. I'll fashion my hair in chubby braids at night to preserve the twist out, then remove them again the next morning. I try to detangle my hair on Sunday nights. I'll also flat twist, braid, or cornrow my hair for the week, and that’s it! I may or may not moisturize daily. It depends on whether or not my hair needs it. I probably spend five to six hours on my hair for the whole week. I’m not sure if that’s a lot or not (it sounds like a lot to me), but that’s what I’m comfortable doing, and it works, so I will continue doing it.

PYCAG: What products are you currently using?
Dominique-Alexis: Currently I use:
  • Royal Curl
  • Beautiful Curls
  • Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil
PYCAG: What are your hair care goals?
Dominique-Alexis: I have a certain hair length in mind. I just really want healthy, thick hair, and I’m happy that I have both now.

Thank you, Dominque-Alexis, for sharing your natural hair tale with PYCAG. We wish you continued success with your hair care journey and blog!

If you'd like to have your natural tale featured in the Transitioning Tales section of PYCAG, submit an email to Dprincess_28@yahoo.com and type "Transitioning Tale" in the subject line. You'll receive a response on how to proceed.

No comments: