Friday, September 17, 2010

Skin

Stretch Marks

Some women are plagued with stretch marks. These can occur as a result of growth spurts during puberty, but some women devlelop anywhere from mild to extreme stretching of the skin during pregnancy. These marks, which many consider to be unsightly, can appear on the stomach, buttocks and breasts.

I was blessed in that I didn't develop any stretch marks during pregnancy. I believe this was largely due to genetics, as my mother doesn't have any, and my sister never got any either from her pregnancy. I also believe that the fact that I didn't gain weight rapidly, forcing the skin to stretch quickly and beyond its capacity, also prevented the development of stretch marks.

Many believe that stretch marks can be prevented with the help of oils and moisturizers used to keep the skin supple so that it can stretch easier. Others also believe that stretch marks can be treated once they're present. I've heard that using a mixture of extra virgin olive oil and cocoa butter can prevent stretch marks. I've also heard that only if treated early, before the stretch marks turn dark in color, can they be diminished and or eliminated.

How many of you divas out there believe that stretch marks can be prevented and or treated? If so, what methods did you use to prevent and or treat your stretch marks?


No comments: