Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Hair

Creating Curls in Black and Biracial Hair

I often get asked, "How can I get my hair to curl like yours?" and I always respond with the same answer: You can do a straw set or use curl activator gel to enhance your natural pattern, but my curls are natural. How can I explain to someone how to get what God has given me? I find this question to be really frustrating, because I really try to stress the importance of learning to embrace what you have. Now, I'm not saying that it's easy, because there are still some things that I'm struggling to accept about my naturally curly hair (which I'll share with you in a later blog post), and I've been natural for a minute now. However, I wish people would realize that there is absolutely nothing wrong with having natural hair that isn't curly. If your hair is kinky and or you have little to no curl pattern, there are a lot of beautiful styles you can create with your hair. Thus, why would you want to be curly?

Seeing that it is almost impossible to force someone else to embrace what they have, I figure I may as well try to help those who remain bent on trying to achieve the look of naturally curly hair. I was able to find a website that had an entire section devoted to teaching others how to achieve the look of curly hair. The website is Treasured Locks, and it offers up quite a bit of helpful information for growing and maintaining African American hair. The section on achieving curly hair titled Creating Curls in Black and Biracial Hair, doesn't offer much more information than I've provided ladies who have asked me how they can achieve the look of naturally curly hair. Yet, I find it interesting nonetheless that other people are realizing that this is in fact a prevalent issue, and are trying to assist those in their quest for natural curls.

No comments: