Thursday, July 16, 2009

Natural Shampoo?

Hey divas,

I just wanted to know if any of you use natural shampoos and conditioners (i.e. sulfate free). I saw an ad for a particular brand of sulfate-free hair cleanser and conditioner in the latest issue of Hype Hair magazine called Hair One. The ad goes as follows:

"Introducing Hair One…a salon quality product that provides a new, natural approach to hair care and hair detox.

Leaves hair cleansed, conditioned and in optimum shape with no detergents or harsh chemicals that can damage and strip hair!

Hair one is made with an elixir of natural herbs and oils that cleanse hair with astringent and antibacterial properties through a luxurious, penetrating cream.

Hair is left with remarkable manageability, moisture and shine."

I've never tried any natural hair cleansers because for one, they seem to be a lil' pricey. For instance, a 12 oz. bottle retails for approx. $11.00. Given that I like to wash my hair multiple times to remove product and sweat, I may go through a bottle like this fairly quickly. Secondly, I don't know if I believe all the hype about sulfates. I've used regular shampoo on my hair for years, and my hair has always thrived (when I wasn't damaging it with harsh styling methods that is :-)). Similarly, I don't believe all the hype about petroleum and mineral-based products simply because I've used both for years as well and don't seem to have any issues as a result of it. I guess everyone has to figure out for themselves if they truly believe something is detrimental to their hair, or if it's simply a marketing tactic to get you to buy a pricier option.

Anyway, I am curious about sulfate-free cleansers just to see if there is a difference in how the hair responds to it versus regular shampoos and conditioners. I've had a few ladies tell me that they didn't like the natural cleansers they've tried because they didn't feel as if it got their hair clean. If you have tried any, please let me know which ones you've tried and how they worked for you.

XOXO,

DPrincess28

10 comments:

Nik said...

I am currently using Blended Beauty Soy Cream Shampoo which is a sulfate free shampoo and I have noticed a difference. When I have used other shampoo my hair felt really dry and brittle. When I switched my scalp felt clean but not stripped.

DENi said...

the only one i know of is oragnix...its at rite aide and its sulfate free...its about 6.99 but its usually buy one get one free and they have various shampoos and conditioners.

DPrincess28 said...

Thanks for the 411 ladies. I saw Organix at Walgreens last night, but have yet to hear/see any reviews for it. The soy creams sounds delicious, LOL!

diggyzrealwife said...

wow, check out my photos on my blog i just started my big-chop, what products should i use? FOLLOW MY BLOG

Anonymous said...

A lot of people freak out b/c a product has a lil mineral oil or petroleum in it..i believe if a product works for u than u should stick with it. I posted this blog link on another site (KISS) and some commentary about what i think and i agree with u..i wanted to see what other ladies said here is what 1 person said.. do u agree? she posted a really long response..

here it is:

No petroleum and mineral oil are not evil products in themselves (from my research and experiences) and I would not say that they harm your hair, but they definitely do not HELP. They both are cheap fillers that are put in many products bc they provide a temporary shiny or glossy feeling/look of your hair but they cannot penetrate the shaft and work to block out moisture. They could be used to seal the hair but why not use a more natural oil that will not only seal but an oil that also has benefits. In my opinion I don't think it is a marketing tactic on the part of other companies to get you to buy their non-mineral oil/petroleum products but I do think that many companies make equally substandard products and attempt to lure folks in with the fact that it lacks these two items (but not getting mineral oil/petroleum oil off the hook for being substandard). Really, I think that many companies who load their products with both of these two items are kind of BSing us all. They say it is a great moisturizer with shea butter or coconut oil or whatever oil or natural item yet the first item on the list is mineral oil or petroleum(making the largest portion) and there is like a teeny bit of the advertised shea butter or coconut, or olive oil or whatever in it. In reality for some products you might as well just slather on some Vaseline and move on. I realized that I have spent countless dollars supporting companies whose products overall weren’t doing much for my hair. I scrutinize every purchase and ingredient in my products and I try to save my cash by just going to the source and making my own stuff if necessary (example I add my own EVOO, EVCO, shea butter, honey, or whatever to a cheaper conditioner and bam my $2.00 condition is just like that so called organic 7$ or $15 conditioner…and over time I really have saved dough) And natural shampoo...I do my ACV rinse or bentonite clay and I have clean hair, simply & inexpensively!! Just bc it is labeled "organic" or "all natural" that doesn't mean anything.

DPrincess28 said...

Hey Butterfly,

Thanks for posting this. And yes, I do agree with the comment for the most part. In the research I've done, dermatologists/stylists do claim that although petroleum/mineral oil based products seal in moisture, they block out moisture once used. I guess it can be seen as a double edged sword in that sense. I'm not sure if I totally agree with the marketing part, because I do believe that companies use a lot of fear tactics to sway consumer selection.

Great comment! :-)

Purpleola said...

I'm currently using a using a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner made by a British company (I'm over in the UK) in addition to my beloved Hello Hydration.

I did some research and read an article in a hair mag, which I posted to my blog (please check it out), but needless to say, I was appauled by some of the stuff that's in hair products. So I started my quest for natural subs.

I've used and reviewed and couple of products which were horrible and my hair HATED!! But the stuff I'm using now (and will review soon) is fantastic and I can really tell the difference! When I'm done with what I've got I want to try Organix and review that. I have to say that I saw Hair One at the BSS and put that thing down because of the price tag.

All that being said, as of right now, I don't see myself going back to sulfates.

Stay blessed x

Monica Lake said...

Hi DPrincess. Ive tried the Hair One and I LOVE IT. Also a good one to use is Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo. However, the HAIR ONE is awesome. My hair felt like butter afterwards and they have various formulas to suit your paticular need.

DPrincess28 said...

Thanks Monica. I just may check it out :-)

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVE HairOne also Monica. It leaves my hair incredibly soft and manageable. DPrincess, I should mention that I am relaxed; I am currently about 10 weeks post and am really struggling to make it to 16 weeks - but this cleanser really nourishes both my 4b natural new growth and my relaxed length. I use the Olive Oil formula for dry hair and it is the BIZNESS! Let us know how u like it if/when you decide to try one.