Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hair

Transitioning Tale: Latoria's Story



Before & After

Today's transitioning tale is that of a beautiful young diva named Latoria. After being a slave to the "creamy crack" for several years, Latoria finally decided to break free and embrace her natural texture. Here is her story:

PYCAG: How long were you relaxed?
Latoria: Since I was about 10 years old. My mom got tried of taking three hours to press my thick hair, and I did too.

PYCAG: What inspired you to transition?
Latoria: I was looking for something new because when you have long and thick hair, people tend to want to charge you more than normal for salon services. It was therefore getting ridiculously expensive to get a relaxer. I started cutting my hair shoulder length in 2006. In 2007 I read an article in Essence magazine about three African American women who donated their hair. I thought it was a good idea, but as I read on I found out I couldn't because my hair was relaxed. I then decided to start growing out my relaxer so I could donate my hair.

PYCAG: Why did you opt to do the BC?
Latoria: I did the BC in December 2007, but after about 9 months, I couldn't handle the pressure anymore and went back to the "creamy crack." I regretted it shortly thereafter, but of course it was too late. Thanks to discovering DPrincess28 on YouTube, I started transitioning in October 2008. I've been heat free since April 2009, and I just chopped off the last bit of my relaxed hair in July 2009.

PYCAG: How are you caring for your hair?
Latoria: I do not use any heat on my hair. When I was relaxed I straightened my hair every week. Now most days I just wet my hair in the morning, use a little EVOO, pin back maybe the side and the front and I'm done. While I was transitioning I did twist outs, which I still do every once in a while.

PYCAG: What products are you currently using?
Latoria: Water, EVOO, and curl activator gel on my edges. I use a cholestorol conditioner when I condition or co-wash my hair.

PYCAG: What are your hair care goals?
Latoria: I want to learn to embrace my natural hair as I did when my hair was relaxed.

PYCAG:
Is there anything else you'd like to say before we conclude this interview?
Latoria: I just want to say going natural is a journey and a discovery of self. It has not been easy for me, but I can honestly say I am more confident now than I thought I was when I was relaxed. Going natural has truly made me realize "I am not my hair." I also want to thank you, DPrincess28, for making this journey a lot smoother for me.

Thank you, Latoria, for sharing your story with us. We wish you the best of luck on your hair care journey!

2 comments:

Avillacorta said...

Congrats on going natural. I think it's totally awesome that you want to donate your hair to locks of love. Good luck on your natural journey. :-)

Unknown said...

Thank you. I'm so sorry I hadn't commented sooner. I rarely check my email anymore so I didn't even know my profile had been posted. Thank you DPrincess28 and thank you Avillacorta. We are in this journey together. :)