Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Hair

Transitioning Tale: Lilianshekinah's Story


Today's transitioning tale is that of a beautiful young diva named Lilianshekinah. Having been relaxed for only a short period of time, Lilianshekinah began her transition in childhood, and has been natural ever since. You can learn more about her hair care journey, as well as her random adventures in life, on her blog. Now, without further ado, here is her natural hair tale, as told to PYCAG.


PYCAG: At what age did you start getting relaxers?
Lilianshekinah: I am not really sure actually. I think I was about 6 or so.

PYCAG: What inspired you to transition?
Lilianshekinah: When I was little, I never really liked relaxers. I hated the way they smelled, and my mom didn't apply the relaxer quick enough so some sections would start burning before she completed the application process. I remember having scabs everywhere. Plus, the relaxer didn't seem to alter my texture much. My hair was just as curly as it had alwas been.

The relaxer did not make it any easier for my mom to comb through my hair, so my mom transitioned me. I remember her cutting my ends every time I got some new growth. She kept my hair blown out and in ponytails, or my favorite style, “The Donut,” an updo in which the hair is in a ponytail, and spread around a sock (see pic at right). My sock was huge! I have been natural since about 6th or 7th grade.

PYCAG: How are you caring for your hair?
Lilianshekinah: I wash my hair every two weeks. I flat iron my hair based on my emotions. When I want to see my length, I’ll flat iron it. If I want a bob, I’ll wash it and wear it natural. My hair is naturally curly by the way. I am currently trying out some new things. I am trying a baking soda cleanse, and highlights with honey. The baking soda cleanse should help with my flaky scalp and frizziness. I want to try something new as far as color, so I am trying a Honey based recipe for subtle highlights. I am doing all of this as I type actually. I’ll be posting my results on my blog later.

PYCAG: What products are you currently using?
Lilianshekinah: When I wear my hair natural:
  • VO5 or Suave conditioner (I like the way it makes my hair feel. It’s not hard or crunchy. Also, It doesn’t leave those infamous white crumbs in my hair!) 
When I wear it flat ironed:
  • I grease my hair with a concoction my grandmother raves about—Grease and Monistat. But it works! Also, no matter how I wear my hair I grease my scalp with odorless, colorless castor oil. This also helps my hair grow. I hope I don’t sound crazy to you. Everyone I meet thinks that I am INSANE, but I figure I must be doing something right for my hair to be long and healthy!
PYCAG: What are your hair care goals?
Lilianshekinah: Right now, I want my hair to be waist length, and in order for that to happen I have to continue my healthy hair habits. I think I want my hair to be a honey brown color, but I am NOT trying to use any chemicals.

Thank you, Lilianshekinah, for sharing your natural hair story. I wish you continued success on your hair care journey!

1 comment:

Avillacorta said...

Love Love Love your hair Lilianshekinah. I say whatever you are doing it works well because your hair is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your story.