Thursday, August 9, 2012

Celebrity Hair

Gold Medal Overshadowed by Hair


I'm sure most of you have already heard about Olympic Gold Medalist Gabby Douglas being the center of attention...not so much because of her talents, but because of her hair! The dynamic gymnast has gotten a lot of flack over what many are calling an unkempt or better yet, undone coif, and most of the negative commentary is coming from fellow African Americans no less!

It's really sad that in the midst of making history, a young girl is berated for her looks instead of celebrated for her achievements. And some still look at me crazy when I tell them I run a hair blog, as if I'm some overly obsessed hair fanatic...um, yeah. Apparently, hair has and always will get a lot of attention, be it short, long, blond or black. Unfortunately, we live in an aesthetically driven society where people are constantly being judged by their appearance. Luckily, Miss Douglas isn't allowing the backlash to get to her, and confidently states: "Nothing is going to change. I'm going to wear my hair like this during beam and bar finals. You might as well just stop talking about it." Go 'head sistah! (No pun intended :-)).

For the full scoop on Miss Douglas' response to all the hair hoopla, see: Gabby Douglas Hair Comments Confuse The Olympic Gymnast

2 comments:

Tee Eee said...

I was surprised when I heard that people were talking about her hair & had to google pics of her. I watched all of the gymnastics competition and hadn't paid any attention to any of their hair! I mean...their arms, legs & feet are doing the work & when they finish, they smile. That was all I had paid attention to. But as ridiculous and downright pathetic as those comments & commentors are, Gabby's response was classy and much more mature than her 16 yrs. #GoldenGabby baby!

MagnificentReign said...

You know, when I was watching the Olympics, I noticed the way her hair looked. But just as quickly as I noticed it, I dismissed it because I was more interested in cheering Team USA on. Never did it occur to me that her hair was "unkempt." Honestly, I just thought it looked a little greasy, but she looked just like everybody else: Pulled back and out of her face. I used common sense in knowing that none of the athletes should be worried about their hair when they are trying not to kill themselves while doing flips on a four inch wide beam, four feet off the ground!