Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hair

Transitioning Tale: MagnificentReign's Story

Relaxed hair

Last year, a beautiful diva who goes by the name MagnificentReign submitted her natural hair tale to Protecting Your Crown & Glory. After successfully transitioning from relaxed to natural, she is now enjoying mid-back length, natural hair. Her regimen has proven to yield great results, which is why it hasn't changed. So now, without further ado, here is MagnificentReign's transitioning tale as told to Protecting Your Crown & Glory.

PYCAG: How long were you relaxed?
MagnificentReign: I got my first relaxer around the age of 6, so I was relaxed for about 18 years.

PYCAG: What inspired you to transition?
MagnificentReign: Curiosity about my true hair texture and whether or not I could go without a relaxer.

PYCAG: Why did you opt to slowly transition versus do the BC?
MagnificentReign: I have always thought that my head was large and I would look funny with a short hair cut. Plus, my transition basically started because I was trying to stretch the time between my relaxers and I just never ended up getting another one. My goal was to transition for two years but it ended up being 16 months because I couldn't take the two textures anymore.
Natural curls

PYCAG: How do you care for your hair?
MagnificentReign: Once I realized I was 'going natural,' I started a regimen for my hair:
  1. I wash and deep condition weekly 
  2. I'm fairly gentle with my hair when it comes to detangling and handling  
  3. I don't put anything on my scalp, which I used to do when I was relaxed  
  4. I don't really do protective styles but I would say 90% of the time my hair is in two-strand twists (When I was transitioning, my hair was in a ponytail most of the time. I also did a lot of bantu knot-outs because of their ease)
PYCAG: What products are you currently using?
MagnificentReign: Thankfully, I have grown out of my product junkie phase! My two must-haves are:
  • The ingredients for Kimmaytube's  leave-in conditioner mix and;
  • Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle deep conditioner  
  • My favorite gel is Kinky-Curly Curling Custard (though it's rare that I use it) 
Natural hair straightened

PYCAG: What are your hair care goals?
MagnificentReign: Right now my goal is length because I'm seeing such positive growth with the regimen that I've been following. I believe my hair is as healthy as it can be right now so I'm just letting it grow out until I get tired of it. I hope to have mid back length hair by June 2012 (a goal that's been reached!), and waist length by March 2013. I also want to be another example that long hair is absolutely attainable for African-American women with the proper care.

PYCAG: Is there anything else you'd like to share with the readers of PYCAG?
MagnificentReign: To those transitioning: be encouraged!! At no point during my transition or even now did I feel like I was going at it alone. The YouTube community was especially essential to my successful transition. There are great groups on Facebook and of course, blogs like Protecting Your Crown and Glory! There is always SOMEBODY out there who understands what you're going through.

Thank you, MagnificentReign, for sharing your natural hair tale with Protecting Your Crown & Glory. We wish you continued success on your hair care journey.

No comments: