Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Hair

Straight Edges Edging Gel by Silk Elements: A Review


I shared my recent purchase of the Straight Edges Edging Gel by Silk Elements in my Product Haul: December 2012 post. In it, I mentioned that I'd be posting a review of this product, and, well, here it is!

This product consists of a clear gel that feels like a combination of a gel and a pomade:


It has a thick, clear consistency, and does wonders at laying down my edges! Here's an up close pic of the product working its magic:

Straight edges slicked down with product
For those of you who are ingredient conscious, you'll be pleased to know that this product contains no:
  • Alcohol
  • Petrolatum
  • Artificial color
  • Mineral oil
  • Parabens
What I love most about this product is the fact that unlike gel, it doesn't cause the hair to revert. And, unlike pomade or a wax stick, it doesn't make the hair feel greasy. Instead, it just lays the edges down with a slight, non-greasy hold. Even when I've sweated out my edges, it doesn't make the hair more wavy. It simply lays them down as is:

Sweated out edges with product
After a few days of use, you'll probably want to wash it out because it can build up, quick, so I would suggest it be used sparingly.

Now, as with any product, hair type is a big factor in terms of its effectiveness. For instance my mother, who is older and has gray hair, tried this product, and it did absolutely nothing for her:

My mom's hair with Silk Elements Edging Gel
My mother's hair is more coarse than mine, and gray hair tends to be more wiry than non-gray hair. She found the Silk Elements Edging Gel to be too aqueous, and believes the water content is what made it virtually ineffective. She has however found an edging gel that she likes, which she recommends to her friends, and that is:

Perfect Edges by Creme of Nature
My mom's edges with her product of choice
This is the product I was going to get, but the sales rep talked me out of it and recommended the one by Silk Elements. But, as you can see, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and you really just have to do a little trial and error to find what works best for you and your hair type.

Well folks, that's it for this review. Look out for this product in future hair posts, as I'll be using it to create slicked back styles, such as the one featured in today's NYE Look 2012 post. :-)

1 comment:

MagnificentReign said...

Thanks for sharing. I have been hoping to find a product that I can use when wearing my hair straight! I might have to check this out!