Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hair Update


So, I know my blog rolls have been MIA for a minute now, and for that, I am truly sorry. However, as of late, my life has entered warp speed, and before I know it, a whole week has passed by without me having the time to post. My mother always told me that my thirties would be the busiest years of my life, and she ain't never lied, because I barely have time to comb my hair, which leads me to my hair update…

So, I seriously haven't felt like doing jack to my hair. Of course I want it to stay healthy, but aside from keeping it clean, I haven't been doing much to it style wise. I therefore knew something had to give, and although I'm not a big fan of braids, braids seemed like a logical option for me at this juncture in my life.

I got the inspiration to braid my hair from fashion designer Kara Saun. I loved her hair on Project Runway (See pic above), and decided to go for a similar look. Check it out:


Since my hair was too long for the stylist to braid it all up, a lot of my real hair is left out and blended in with the extensions. To prep my hair for this style, I washed and deep conditioned it by sitting under a hooded dryer for 15 minutes with Organic Root Stimulator's Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner. I then added a small amount of Hawaiian Silky to it and allowed it to air dry in two buns.

I got my hair done at a local salon that specializes in braids, but also does traditional styling such as flat irons, roller sets, etc. The stylist that did my hair was very nice and quick! The style/labor cost $75, and the hair only cost me $5.99 per pack. I bought four packs of hair and ended up needing only one! I therefore have enough to do this again 3 more times!

I was told this style would last me six weeks, but I'll probably only keep it in for three or four. All I know is that the minute these cornrows start looking raggedy, they're coming out! I plan to care for this style by doing the following:
  1. Spritz my ponytail with a mixture of water, setting lotion, and Hawaiian silky daily to keep it hydrated and get it to blend in with the extensions (The setting lotion I'm using is LottaBody with Olive Oil).
  2. Wash just the ponytail to remove product buildup.
  3. Clean my scalp with witch hazel.
I'll update you guys on how long it lasts. How are you styling your hair these days?

Until next time…

XOXO,

DPrincess28

9 comments:

Ms. Harmony said...

Great minds think alike...I found a pic of Alicia Keys I wanted to dupe. AK’s hair was styled the same but with a low curly pony tail. I love the look on you!

Anonymous said...

I've been in a bit of a hair funk as well lately. I decided that I would style by hair with "weekly themes"... ( that's just a really cute way of staying I pick styles that I can maintain for about a week...Lol).
Two weeks ago I did a bantu-knot out. The style lasted about four days and the funny things is that I got the most complaints on the fourth day when it was really wild.
Last week I did a high ponytail with a bun. What I loved about this style was that I could wash it everyday if I wanted to and maintain the look with no problem.
This week I'm doing twist outs.
It's really good hear from you DPrincess I was a little worried about you. Good to hear that all is well.

Unknown said...

wow i LOVE this style. it is so chic - glad u figured out an easy heat-free style.

Dani In NC said...

Thanks for posting these great pics of your current style. My daughters (13-year-old twins) are doing the slow transition and they like wearing braided styles. I bet they would both love something like this.

As for how I'm styling MY hair, I screwed up my courage and did the big chop about a month ago. My hair is only about 3-4 inches long (stretched) so there isn't much I can do with it other than wet it, gel it, and go :-).

MagnificentReign said...

We missed you Diva!! I like that braided style a lot. I'm just curious to know if you're able to keep it up and for how long. I've never worn braids with extensions and I'm concerned about that synthetic hair getting raggedy too soon. Keep us posted. I'm glad that you are able to stay busy, hopefully that reaps a ton of rewards in your life. Be blessed!

GirlyGroup said...

that's so cute!

girlygroup.com

bluebonnet67 said...

Welcome Back! You have been truly missed! Great hair style, it fits you well!

chilrenshealthcare said...

I saw your hair style is very unque in the world

cheap cosmetic

Sey said...

cornrows doh last long in my hair at all