Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Celebrity Hair

ANTM Makeover Sabotage?


If any of you have had a chance to catch an episode of the latest season of America's Next Top Model, then you know that this cycle is all about the All-Stars. Tyra and her crew have brought back the most memorable competitors from previous seasons to compete for the title of America's Next Top Model. Among them is one of my hair inspirations, Bre Scullark.


One of the most entertaining parts of ANTM is the makeover segment, where Tyra sends the girls off to get new hair and makeup looks. You can check out the makeovers for this season here (they start at about the 11:50 mark). I must say that I was totally feeling Ms. Scullkark when she said she was "at the point of rage," after Jay Manuel ordered one of the stylists to shave her hair off in the back and cut it short on one side. One of the reasons she was so upset is because she had just finished growing her hair out from the TWA you see at right.


I often question if some of the makeovers are actually an improvement. The thing is, even if others think you look fly with your new do, if you don't feel it, your lack of confidence will overshadow any style you rock. That's one of the reasons I've always said that you have to do what's best for you, because even though I'm a strong proponent of going natural, the reality is, everyone may not feel confident rocking natural hair, and that's okay. I don't think I would allow anyone to give me a drastic cut or look I wasn't ready for, even if it meant me being eliminated from the competition. After all, the models have to live beyond ANTM, and may get eliminated anyway, so why be forced to walk away with a hair cut you despise?

Would you allow the stylists to drastically change your look? Would you trust that their vision served to improve your chances of winning, or do you think forcing people to go for styles they aren't feeling, yet expecting them to carry it well is a form of sabotage?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hell. No. Lol. I've always said the same thing. These girls have to live with themselves after ANTM. With the black women, they always either make it Pocahontas hair or shave it somehow. Our hair can do so many things. Why are they so close minded?

DPrincess28 said...

@Keri: Girl, I hear you. If they wanted to chop my hair off I'd tell them to give me a weave and cut that, LOL!

CocoEuro said...

ummm...seriously??!! I did not know that past contestants were on the new Season!! Yeah I know, I'm under a rock (well I just moved back to the States)...I shall DVR then, Thx!!