Monday, January 23, 2012

Hair

My Winter Hair Update


If you saw my Protective Phony Pony and "Natural" Makeup post, then you know that I have chosen to use fake ponytails as my protective style for the winter. Since I live in California, my winter experience is obviously not the same as it is for those of you who live on the East Coast, but, I do travel enough to know whether or not my hair care methods work in other parts of the globe.

During my recent trip to Michigan, I decided to take my phony pony with me, and let me tell you, it was a lifesaver! Choosing to "hide" my hair for the winter made it much easier to travel, for I didn't have to pack a bunch of products or large bottles of leave-in conditioners/moisturizers, as would have been the case had I chosen to wear my hair curly. Instead, all I took with me was:


  • A spray bottle (I later filled it with water and used it to spritz my hair daily to add moisture)
  • A small jar (3 oz or less) of Isoplus gel (To slick down edges)
  • A small jar of pure coconut oil (To seal in moisture, particularly on the ends of my hair after spraying them with water)
  • Bronner Bros. Extra Lite Super Gro (I use this on my edges each morning and at night to seal in moisture. I also used it on my ends to seal in moisture if I felt the coconut oil wasn't sufficient. I packed the full size jar, although I could have transferred some into a smaller jar like I did the gel and coconut oil.)
And of course, I packed the phony pony. Although I wore it during the trip, I didn't wear it at the airport. Call me paranoid, but I was afraid the bobby pins I used to hold it down would set off the metal detectors, and I didn't want to have to go through the embarrassment of having to remove my phony pony! You may think I'm crazy, but the underwire in my bra has set off some machines, so you just never know. Plus, although I didn't wear it while I was travelling and opted for a bun instead, the female security guard had to pat down my head just to make sure I wasn't concealing anything in my bun!

Speaking of buns, since I've been home, I have not worn the phony pony, but have instead decided to just wear buns:



I don't think it's good to apply tension to your hair or scalp in the same manner for extended periods of time, and those of you who have ever worn a phony pony know that the combs can stress out your crown, or whichever area of your head you choose to secure it to. Plus, for those of us with tender edges, slicking the hair back can stress out those edges. I have therefore decided to not wear the phony pony every day, and will switch up my hairstyle, opting for buns on some days, and letting it hang free on others. Wearing buns will enable me to protect my ends, but will cause less stress than the phony pony since I can change the positioning of my buns (sometimes high, sometimes low).

As for my free flowing styles, I have chosen to rock braidouts:


To achieve this look, I simply spritz my hair with water at night before bedtime, then apply Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Moisturizer in sections prior to sealing with pure coconut oil. I then place the hair in a few plaits, put on my satin bonnet, and go to bed. In the morning, all I have to do is remove the plaits and fluff the hair with my fingers. Sometimes I wear my hair all down, or half up/half down as pictured above.

As we head into February, I plan to keep my ends moisturized and protected as much as possible. I've also decided to lay off of heat for a while. I don't want to make any vast declarations and say, "I'm not going to use heat for X amount of months..." because I don't want to make any promises I can't keep. I do however know that abstaining from heat will only help my hair grow long and strong during my waist length journey, and I need all the help I can get!

How are your locks fairing this winter?

11 comments:

Urban Homeschoolers Of Columbus said...

Im also on a hair journey however im aiming for full bsl by summer. I have keeping my hair in mimi twist. Goodluck on your hair journey!

DPrincess28 said...

@Journee Kapri: Twists are a great, semi protective style in my opinion. Good luck on your hair care journey!

CaLiDiVa00 said...

Very cute pic at the top! I’ve been thinkin about getting some phony pony’s, wigs, etc for the winter months as a protective style. Idk, my winter reggie has been going well, I was going thru a funk w/ my hair and getting kind of bored w/ it but now I’m back to loving it again, lol. I plan to do a lot of protective styles to try continue to preserve length. I’ve also been doing the olive oil pre poo treatments I learned from your site so I’m anxious to see the benefits of that!

DPrincess28 said...

@CaliDiva00: Thanks girl! You'll love the pre-poo treatments. Helps me out a lot!

FineNaturalHairandFaith said...

The braidouts look great on your hair. My hair always comes out looking choppy with braid outs so I stick with twist outs. I think its because of my uneven lengths but i'm not prepared to get my hair cut until I reach my goal length on the majority of my hair.

cottonballmama said...

I always love the looks you create; it makes me appreciate the versatility of our hair, and it can be as low maintenance as we desire.

I can't wait for your next length check! My journey started in April 2011, and I'm nurturing every new inch that has grown!

You're so inspiring!!!

DPrincess28 said...

@Radiantbrownbeauty: Girl trust, sometimes my braidouts look choppy too!

@Cottonballmama: Aww, thanks mama!

Tee Eee said...

Thanks for posting this! I've been considering getting my weaveologists AKA best friend to go w/me to buy a drawstring puff and just haven't done it. Partly because I haven't done weave other than braids in like 12 years. I've been doing mini twists but a couple of puffs would add some nice variety...I think I can get this up in a bun. lol

MzDiimples said...

oooh, I love how the braidout came out!

Lately, my split ends have been driving me crazy! I straightened my hair a couple of weeks ago to trim the ends...then last week I straightened it again and trimmed off some more...and now I keep staring at my ends and seeing tiny knots followed by hair split two, three, four ways! My split ends have split ends! :-/ I can't stop staring at them...

HeavenSent510 said...

Okay so after watching your videos and reading your blog I've decided to go natural! Iv'e made up my mind. I've a been thinking about it for a while now but I didn't know how to approach it especially by me being A.American.You have really inspired me! You're a beautiful young woman, Your saved, have a relationship with God, beautiful family married and all,you have morals && values && all..I could go on lol. How u talk about God && how you put him first is so touching. I'm 18 and your an example of the woman I want to become..You've actually made me want to seek him even more now! How you ta so thank you. May God bless you &I pray that you be prosperous in everything you do.!Oh and If u get alot of comments from me don't be surprised lol!

Ps. I know This was suppose to be about hair && Im gettin all spiritual lol sorry! but he placed it on my heart to let you know that =]

DPrincess28 said...

@Tee Eee: You can do it!

@MzDiimples: Thanks and yes, I hear you about the split ends. I hate the ones that are split in multiple places!

@HeavenSent510: Thank you so much for the positive feedback & encouragement! Best of luck to you on your hair care journey and life in general!