Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hair

First Impressions

So, yesterday I shared how I recently purchased some Infusium 23 Leave-in Treatment and Hawaiian Silky Miracle Worker 14-in-1 (For the full post, see Product Haul). I've stated many times that I like to use a product repeatedly before reaching a verdict regarding its performance. Yet, some products leave such a strong impression that I only have to use it once to know whether or not I want to incorporate it into my regimen.

A few days ago, I tried the Infusium 23 Leave-in Treatment. I heard so many ladies talk about it on YouTube, and after reading about its restorative healing powers in the latest issue of Hype Hair magazine (See Hair Q & A for more details), I was really psyched to get it…

Well, after washing and deep conditioning my hair with some Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor Treatment, I parted through my hair and applied some of the Infusium 23 Leave-in Treatment to each section. The product felt slightly sticky, but I continued to apply it to my hair. I then applied a small amount of my ORS Olive Oil Hair Lotion (The Infusium product is pure liquid, and I knew I would need a creamy leave-in to keep my hair moisturized), and set my hair in some buns. The next day, I took down the buns and my hair was big and poofy!

My bun out with Infusium 23 Leave-in Treatment and ORS Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion
The waves for my bun out didn't set well at all, and my hair felt dry to the touch. Although the Infusium Leave-in Treatment states that it's light enough to add to the hair daily, it left a slightly sticky residue, which is why I opted to not apply more to my hair. Instead, I applied more of the ORS Olive Oil Lotion to my hair, which many of you know is very heavy, and sealed with some of my Vitamin E oil by African Angel. I then set my hair in buns again.

Hair set in four small buns

I opted to do four buns instead of two because I wanted to make sure the ORS Olive Oil Lotion was well distributed throughout the hair. My hair was feeling very dry, so I knew the four small buns would absorb more product than two large ones…

The result of my second bun out with Infusium 23 Leave-in Treatment and ORS
As you can see, I was wrong. When I took my hair out of the buns the following day, my hair felt even drier and frizzier than before! There's something about that Infusium 23 Leave-in Treatment that creates an impenetrable barrier on the hair. No matter how much I tried to infuse moisture into my hair, it just wouldn't take. My bun outs couldn't even set the waves!

I had to wash that mess out of my hair, so I did so and opted to test out some of the Hawaiian silky. So far, I've only used this product for two days, but I'm already loving it! Although it comes in a squirt bottle, it is actually a light, creamy lotion. I just assumed it was going to be another liquid because of the packaging, but that's not the case. After washing and conditioning my hair, I parted through it and applied some of the Hawaiian silky to each section. I then applied some of my Luster's Pink Short Looks Gel 'N to each section and allowed my hair to air dry. Basically, I used the Hawaiian Silky as my moisturizing base in lieu of Bronner Bros. Extra Lite Super Gro. Here are some shots of my hair while wet:


And a shot of my hair once dry:

As you can see, my curls were well defined and moisturized. I didn't apply as much of the gel as I normally do, which is why my hair dried big. I'm glad I didn't though, because my husband told me I was starting to look like I had a 1980's curl with all the gel I was putting in my hair! I know the Hawaiian Silky is a great moisturizing base because when I woke up the next morning, my curls were still pretty well defined, whereas some products leave my hair looking flat the following day.

My curls the next morning
On the second day, I didn't comb through my hair. All I did to revive my curls was spritz them with water, then scrunched with some of the Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 Miracle worker, and a little bit of the Luster's Pink Short Looks Gel 'N. This was the result:

So in summary, the Infusium 23 Leave-in Treatment left a very strong, bad first impression whereas the Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 left a very strong, positive first impression. I won't be using the Infusium 23 Leave-in Treatment anymore, but I'll definitely be doing more experimentation with the Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 Miracle Worker.

6 comments:

ColdDiva said...

Eeeek!...I was hopin that you had a positive experience from the Infusium23 line..my co-worker was swearing by it and suggested to get the shampoo, conditioner as well as the leave in. I don't think I am willing to invest all that money for something that may or may not work. So I am going to start off with the leave in only and then from there if my results are on the up and up. I will go from there and add the other products to my aresenal. I am going to try the Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 next too...maybe once and for all I can get closer to that wash and go!

kkolicole

Ms. Harmony said...

I'm so HAPPY the Hawaiian Silky did not disappoint! It works great as a moisturizer for me as well.

DPrincess28 said...

ColdDiva: I agree that you should start with one product before getting the full line. You don't want to make that type of investment and be disappointed.

Lakitia: Yes girl, I'm liking the Hawaiian Silky! So far, so good :-).

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry 23 didn't work but your results may have been skewed because u deep conditioned with a protein and then used a protein leave in... You should give it one more shot after a moisturizing deep conditioner

Beautifully_human said...

As a suggestion maybe give infusium 23 another try but switch the order. i never used it before, but by your description of it being liquid and not letting the hair absorb the ORS olive oil lotion. maybe put the lotion in first then use a lighter oil outside of vitamin E oil, because it can be such a thick oil even when diluted with other oils. Maybe try Avocado or EVOO, and then put the infusium in, thats the way i would do it anyway, after all as you say we are in a recession and i know you don't want to waste it. lol. It ca be used as a good sealer.

MsKhemetsWorld said...

Hello,


Can you tell me if you used a bumpit for the pic using the Hawaiian Silky spray. It looks sooo cute.

Thx!

MsKhemet