My 18" Extensions...#FAIL!
I recently shared the 18" Spanish Wavy hair I purchased as part of my latest beauty supply store haul. If you recall, I also shared in that post how I had already made clip-on extensions with the hair, but they turned out to be a FAIL. Well, today I'm going to share the reasons why things didn't go so well:
First of all, in case you're new to my blog, I posted a video a while back on how I make clip-on extensions. You can peep the tut here: Homemade Clip-in Hair Pieces. I used the same method featured in the video to create these extensions. Here's what my hair looked like with the first track in:
|1st track in|
And the second track:
|2nd track in|
I forgot to take a pic showing the location of the 3rd and 4th tracks, which were actually inserted at the same part. I basically created two tracks the same width as the 1st and placed them slightly above the point where I installed the 2nd track. Instead of making one large track to wrap around my crown, I made two so that they would start on the sides and meet in the middle. In any case, this is what my hair looked like once all the tracks were in:
|All tracks in|
To finish things off, I curled my hair in an attempt to get it to blend in with the extensions, but it didn't turn out so well:
|Extensions in, hair curled|
So, here's what I think went wrong:
- These extensions, which are the longest I've ever played with, are considerably longer than my real hair. With that being said, I should have doubled up on the tracks when I was making the extensions, so that the hair would be thicker, making it easier to mask the line of demarcation, which clearly shows where my hair ends and the extensions begin.
- Instead of curling my hair (which I did using my Revlon curling iron) I should have done a braidout, which probably would have done a better job of mimicking the waves in the extensions (hence the name, Spanish Wavy, not Spanish Curly hair...duh!).