Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Fashion

Church Swag


Finding a dress for my son's Christening was no small feat. Carrying around extra baby weight means that my lady lumps are more voluptuous than usual. Thanks to the extra junk in the trunk, dresses that were already short are even shorter, and I'm finding that I need to shop in the Misses section of department stores versus Forever 21, Wet Seal, and other teeny bopper stores of that nature. Now, I must say that some people wonder why folks my age shop in these stores to begin with, but for me it was never about trying to be younger than I am. Instead, it was about finding affordable clothes that fit my petite frame, and those stores are right up my alley. I can't wait until I drop these extra pounds because I'm finding that it's more expensive finding clothes to fit my post baby bod. Take for instance this ensemble I put together for my son's Christening:


The dress was a very simple, conservative sheath dress by Calvin Klein that I picked up from Nordstrom Rack. It set me back about $60.00, and since it has short sleeves, I wanted to buy a cardigan or some type of wrap to cover up my arms. Well, I ended up finding this lovely cream colored cardigan with a flower on the lapel from Nordstrom Rack as well, and it cost me about $20.00. With tax, this outfit set me back a good $90.00, when I'm normally able to hook up a good fit for about $30.00!

The dress and cardigan alone are a little too conservative for my tastebuds. What sold me on the fit though was the cut of the dress, which I find to be very flattering to my frame, and the fact that it has...

Tadah, pockets!

I just love it when function meets fashion! Although I liked the dress because of it's simplicity and function, it would have lacked spark had I not paired it with these colorful shoes and accessories:

Shoes from Burlington Coat Factory (I believe they cost around $20.00)

You may recall this necklace from my post titled NYE 2010: Out with the old, in with the new!
And, don't forget the accessories I added to my 'do in my Hair & Makeup post.

Overall, I was pleased with the ensemble. I actually can't wait to pair the shoes with a pair of jeans and a Tee! What's your Sunday swag?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel you on the difference in price, but from my experience...the quality of clothes is much higher so you pay for what you get. Just think of it as an investment into something that will last you longer and that may ease the pain of paying the higher prices!

DPrincess28 said...

@EbonyCPrincess: So true